CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Assignment # 6 Harriet Tubman<3


I have selected Harriet Tubman. She is not Canadian, but she, and the underground railroad has influenced Canada in a very great way.

Harriet Tubman was a runaway slave from Maryland who became known as "The Moses of her people." She made 19 trips into the South and led over 300 slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad, a secret network of safe houses where runaway slaves could stay on their journey north to freedom in the course of 10 years. I got this information from a website called America's Liberty and another website called PBS.org.

It influenced Canada because when slavery had been outlawed in the United States, it continued to flourish to the South. From about 1820 to 1860, over 20,000 refugees from slavery fled to Canada. The Underground Railroad was a very secret and organized way to get slaves to the northern U.S and Canada.

12 comments:

Firas D. said...

Hey. Nice blog. Fast, small, and pretty good.

Firas D. said...

Also, you should check out my blog. I wrote about Corporal William Hall. It is cool. Keep up the good work

Shauna Pollock said...

Hi Emily,

Nice job! I'd like for you to reflect even more on how much Harriet Tubman changed lives, life in Canada and the world!

Sabrina H said...

heey emily!! great entry and I love how much detail you put. I also love your backround!

Rema M said...

heey emo, this is for assignment # 2, so nice blog

Mariam Mo said...

hey emily love your blog :)

Shauna Pollock said...

Some good changes here!

Shauna Pollock said...

This entry is currently ranked at #4 in the competition!

Anonymous said...

nice blog emily!byeeeeeeee!
nada

Auguste said...

Yo this has NO info. And I thought you were supposed to pick a CANADIAN. Not a very good job in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I LOVEEEE YOUR BLOG!Its soooooooooo cool!

Anonymous said...

hey check out my blog!bye